I’m Julie Oakley, a St Albans-based communications consultant currently specialising in magazine and book design. Using words and images to communicate a message in a clear, aesthetically pleasing way fascinates me. I’ve been lucky to be able to earn a living doing what I love. At present, I am particularly enjoying the challenge of producing books, magazines and corporate literature, from initial concept through to design, production, printing, delivery and web-ready downloadable pdfs.
Why work with me?
I believe in developing long, friendly relationships with my clients. I would much rather work with one satisfied client for five years, than five less satisfied clients for a year at a time. As someone who has a broad range of design and illustration skills, together with print-management, writing and proof-reading ability, I am particularly good at designing magazines and publications from start to finish.
- I have many years of experience
- I have worked with companies large and small, both public and private sector
- I am flexible and adaptable – work is often turned round at the last minute
- I can handle your job from start to finish
- I come up with cost-effective solutions appropriate for the budget
- I provide clear, detailed estimates and there are no surprises when I invoice
- I am meticulous about getting the details right
- I read and double check the text
Organisations I’ve worked with
Some of the organisations I have worked with include Arnatt Abrey Associates, Ashridge Business School, BP, Cherry Tree Housing Association, Courtaulds Textiles, The e-Learning Foundation, Galatea, Grove Technology, Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, KPMG, Makinson Cowell, Mapac, The National Computing Centre, Open Door, Paradigm Training, Potters Crouch Candles, Redhouse Lane Communications, Thamesmead Town Ltd and The Vacations Group.
I have a well-equipped home-based design studio. The software applications that I use every day are Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat. I also use Microsoft Office, Quark XPress and Dreamweaver.